So, you're passionate about software delivery and running it in production. You’re skilled in software development but the infrastructure and operations have little secrets to you. You know perfectly well that the code can run it for you. You hate waking up at 2am to production failures and that's why you have monitors for everything, and enough failover or self-healing setup so you can deal with it in the morning. You're fine with rolling out code all the time because if anything unexpected happens, you have it covered and automated. You love to work with development teams and make sure that the tools they are using run fast and reliably.
Great, we're looking for people like you who can help us build and operate infrastructures for running the software that powers the Ocado fulfilment centres. People who are technical experts and get things done by using their smarts and whatever tools make sense to get the job done. People who love to stand on the shoulders of giants to solve new problems and thrive in a rapidly innovating space.
Day to day work:
- Supporting the development teams who are our customers. Ideally making things as Self Service as possible so that we don’t slow down our development teams by queuing up requests.
- Help define the multi-provider cloud platform that enables our apps to work in a redundant, reliable, highly-available fashion. Deploy the platform in an iterative manner.
- Supporting stress/integration testing teams which test individual parts of our warehouse software or an entire warehouse software suite on the platform in a cloud environment.
- Setting up CoreOS clusters using Heat or CloudFormation
- Maintaining existing CoreOS clusters (update strategies, configuration improvements)
- Evaluating new technologies to incorporate into the stack (or replace existing ones) in what is a fast-moving area (public/private cloud) e.g. Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Amazon Elastic Container Service, Google Cloud.
- Improve our continuous deployment process, getting changes rolled out faster and with confidence.
- Writing tooling around infrastructure. Recent examples include solutions in Python, Go and Scala that either interface with existing Ocado Technology systems (e.g. DNS) or publish information for consumption by others (CoreOS cluster registry)
- Improving server monitoring and alerting so that we’re aware of a problem before it’s an issue and can learn how to make the most of the assets we have
- Documentation and training so people understand clearly what we offer and how to get the most from it.
- Contribute to Open Source solutions and communities we use wherever you can.
Desired skills & competencies:
- Have a good understanding - and ideally experience working with:
- CoreOS (systemd, etcd, fleet)
- OpenStack (as a client e.g. Heat templates)
- AWS/Google cloud environments
- New Relic
- Knowledgeable in security
- Good understanding of Linux
- Really know about scalable infrastructure
- Make things work and get things done.
- Love to learn new things and can do so quickly but execute to a high standard and take ownership of your solutions
- Love to leave things better than you found them.
- Love to automate anything you've done more than twice.
- Are fluent in at least one dynamic language (python, perl, ruby, etc)
- Have good communication skills
- Know the pros and cons of all the technology trends in your field.
- Make excellent informed decisions and know when to ask for advice
- Don’t mind participating in a support rota
- Permanent Contract
- Multi Sport Card
- Medical Insurance
- Life assurance
- Lunch Vouchers
- Training and Development opportunities
We are seeking a User Experience Designer. As part of the User Experience team within Ocado Technology, you will be responsible for producing world-class user experience solutions for Ocado across all its channels, including web, mobile and internal systems. You’ll work collaboratively with Developers, Information Architects, UX Designers and Clients and be able to establish and maintain ongoing communications with key business stakeholders. You’ll have a passion for design & technology and keep up-to-date with the latest trends, sharing these with your fellow team members.
Your skills and experience should include:
A strong user experience design portfolio demonstrating innovation as well as pragmatism.
Excellent knowledge of Usability and User Experience across a range of devices including mobile, tablet and desktop/laptop for both the web and native applications.
The ability to make complex tasks simple – we’re talking cognitive overhead reduction.
Excellent attention to detail – It’s all about the details.
Excellent prototyping skills.
The ability to carry out user testing research to support design decisions.
The ability to manage your own workflow, document and communicate clearly to others less technical or visually articulate than you.
The ability to meet deadlines while handling multiple projects simultaneously.
Excellent working knowledge of IA/UX/design software e.g. OmniGraffle, Axure, Adobe CS/CC.
An understanding of the User Centred Design process.
The ability to creatively interpret briefs.
Good interpersonal skills and a strong team player.
The ability to learn quickly – we don’t expect you to know it all from day one.
Experience of e-commerce and work with numerical data (statistical/financial aspects) is a bonus.
Knowledge of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
Proven ability of tackling challenging projects
Masters or other postgraduate qualification in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent.
As a Data Scientist on the Data Science Team, you will implement statistical learning algorithms, design experiments, and use your statistic knowledge to get insight from data. At this position, your responsibilities will include exploratory research, and the dissemination of useful new methodology and algorithms to the rest of the team. As with any member of the team, you will also be expected to work closely with the team lead and senior management to identify and scope projects, plan those projects, create prototype systems and algorithms, and effectively communicate advanced technical issues and findings to a range of technical and non-technical internal audiences. You will be also advocate of the best practices in Data Science day-to-day work.
We are looking for people who are experts and get things done by using their smarts and whatever tools make sense to get the job done. People who love to stand on the shoulders of giants to solve new problems and thrive in a rapidly innovating space.
Day to day responsibilities:
Designs experiments, test hypotheses, and build models
Conducts advanced data analysis and complex designs algorithm
Solves client analytics problems (in iterative processes) and communicates results and methodologies
Develops experimental design approaches to validate finding or test hypotheses.
Provides on-going tracking and monitoring of performance of decision systems and statistical models.
Prototype systems and algorithms
Communicate what you find to broader audience
Deep understanding of statistical and predictive modeling concepts, machine-learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques (supervised and unsupervised), and recommendation and optimization algorithms
Familiarity with the principles of multivariate testing, experiment design, and the standard methods for analyzing data collected from controlled and quasi-experiments
Demonstrated computer programming ability, including SQL, and either R or Python
Love to learn new things and can do so quickly
Master’s Degree in operations research, applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, physics or a related quantitative discipline
Knowledge of Bayesian data analysis, natural language processing, or Bayesian time series modeling techniques
Demonstrated ability to scale analysis or algorithms to very large data sets
Previous experience working within the Map-Reduce programming model (e.g., Hadoop), Cascading / Scalding, Spark, or Flink
Previous experience working with common machine learning toolkits (e.g., WEKA, Apache Mahout, Pandas),
Previous experience working with data sets measured in terabytes, or on the implementation of scientific/numerical algorithms.
Story telling / presentation skills