The main purpose of this role is to manage IT infrastructure, with an emphasis on writing robust, effective code, and developing, maintaining, deploying and supporting high-quality software systems. To take an active role in supporting business needs and meeting organisational objectives, as part of the Ocado Technology team.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Take care of our software development tools (source code repos, issue tracker, artifact repos, code review tool, code analysis tool), scale their capacity, fail-proof them.
- Recommend, design & implement our build- and deployment systems, environment and infrastructure.
- Measure everything, improving every possible aspect of development ecosystems, specifically addressing Time to Detect, Time to Respond, feedback delay.
- Improve our continuous deployment process, getting changes rolled out faster and with confidence. Automate
- every error prone process.
- Improve our configuration management so our systems can be restored from versioned configurations in an automated way.
- Help Dev teams have their systems properly monitored and integrated to alerting systems.
- Tune our systems to get maximum performance and bang for our buck.
- Lead, coach and grow our DevOps practice by bridging development, Ops and QA.
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools.
- Contribute to Open Source solutions and communities we use wherever you can. This role description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Make things work and get things done.
- Love to leave things better than you found them.
- Really know CI/CD (Jenkins, GitLab CI, etc), config management (ansible, puppet) and VCS tools (git, mercurial, svn).
- Love to automate anything you've done more than twice.
- Can’t go to sleep if the system going to prod is not graphed.
- Can write a bash one-liner for anything, but know when not to.
- Are happy with virtualisation, fluent in Linux, knowledgeable in security, familiar with Docker.
- Are fluent in at least one dynamic language (python, ruby, etc).
- Can't go to sleep knowing your tests or monitors are failing.
- Love to learn new things and can do so quickly.
- You don't just use the code, you contribute.
- Are a great communicator, not at all like the stereotypical geek.
- Love agile/lean development and delivering code.
- Really know about scalable infrastructure.
- Know the pros and cons of all the technology trends in your field.
- Run production services in the cloud (AWS, Google Cloud) and know where it's awesome and where it hurts.
- Make excellent informed decisions and know when to ask for advice.
- Know your way around the entire stack, you just prefer DevOps.
- Have a great sense of humour.
- Permanent Contract
- Multi Sport Card
- Medical Insurance
- Life assurance
- Lunch Vouchers
- Training and Development opportunities
Equal Opportunity Employer Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employees are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.