Brainly is the world’s largest online community, uniting students, parents and teachers in solving their academic problems and exchanging knowledge. Every month we are proud to be home for 350 million users. Besides delivering world class educational products we’re a technology company at heart. Engineering teams at Brainly are proud of the work they do and the impact they make on the future of education worldwide.
HOW DO WE BUILD SERVICES?
Back-end engineers enjoy all the pros and cons of distributed programming. We ship changes to production multiple times a day and our delivery pipeline makes your code ready to join thousands of already running containers in just 5 minutes. Our services land on Kubernetes that is hosted on AWS. We also leverage the power of AWS serverless like Lambdas, DynamoDB, AppSync, Cognito, just to name a few. Services communicate either via messaging or good old HTTP. Our platform is defined entirely as code (Terraform, Ansible) and we get lots of goodies out of the box – alerting, logging and telemetry to name a few. We are believers in the DevOps culture, but we still have some things to do to get there.
HOW DO WE WORK?
We also enjoy great engineering culture – we do code reviews and schedule time to write tests. We truly believe that our collaborative environment makes space for everyone to learn, improve and take our engineering to the next level. We try to give back to the community as much as we can – you can see us at various conferences, read our blog posts or even come to one of our meetups that we proudly host in our lovely office.
IS THIS OFFER FOR YOU?
We are looking for engineers who are ready to tackle complex challenges with the right tools. We don’t expect our future colleagues to have the experience with every language or tool we use at production. We write mainly in Go and Python but, as everything in life, these can be learned and we are sure that our bootcamp will get you up to speed. We are also a team of engineers with diverse backgrounds and we are more than happy to learn from your experience too.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
The new engineer will join one of our product teams:
- Community team which is developing the infrastructure and tools for our user community, building new admin systems, and ensuring these systems ultimately deliver increased educational value to all Brainly users.
- Tutoring team which gives students an option to connect with an expert within a few seconds.
- Textbook Solutions, CMS team which is building one of the biggest CMS in the world in terms of volume – hundreds of experts are working simultaneously on content creation which we then deliver to our web and mobile applications.
And will be responsible for:
- Designing, developing, and maintaining code for Brainly platform to enhance the great learning experience for our users.
- Solving complex challenges such as performance, scalability, and security
- Collaborating with other software engineers to design scalable services, plan feature roll-out, and ensure high reliability and performance of your deliverables.
- Conducting code reviews, contributing high-quality documentation, and building robust test suites for your features.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
- 3+ years of experience writing web services in a general-purpose programming language
- Experience with databases/data stores
- Interest in TDD and specific experiences using a test heavy approach to solve problems and create solutions
- Ability to brainstorm and co-create new solutions, both business and technical
- Familiarity with a complex, high-performance platform
- Established ability to diagnose technical problems, debug complex problems across the whole stack, and automate routine tasks
- Focus on the needs of our users, both internal and external
- Understanding of core testing principles
- Knowledge of Go or Python
- Experience building distributed systems at scale
- Experience building microservices
- Experience working with public cloud provider offerings (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc)
- Knowledge of Deep Learning techniques and frameworks
- Statistics/Data Science experience
- Experience working with messaging queues and/or streaming platforms
- Experience working with GraphQL
- Experience working with NoSQL databases
- You have high level of self-organization and ability to make your own decisions
- You are a team player and have great communications skills
- You have ability to learn fast
- Location: Kraków or Barcelona, or remotely from Poland/Spain
- Level: strong mid or senior
- Salary: 15 000 – 23 000 PLN gross/monthly (employment contract)
- Start date: as soon as possible (however, we’re happy to wait for the right person)
- Some of our benefits – the final offer will depend on the location:
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work remotely
- Personal development budget 800$ per year + unlimited time off policy for participation in conferences and workshops and access to an online learning platform with courses from Udemy, Harvard Manage Mentor and many others
- Fully paid private health care packages for you and your family (dental care included) provided by Luxmed
- Fully paid life insurance provided by Warta
- Multisport Plus card
- Access to the Mental Health Helpline – providing virtual support of external psychologists, psychotherapists, and coaches
- AskHenry services – personal concierge services to help you to settle your everyday matters (like Ikea shopping or shoemaker visit)
- Possibility to join one of our Employee Resource Groups and initiatives (Inclusion Council, Ladies at Brainly, Brainly Cares)
- If needed, additional budget for remote work accessories
WHAT IS BRAINLY?
Brainly is the world’s largest peer-to-peer learning community for students, parents and teachers. At brainly.com, and its group of websites around the world, students connect to both receive and offer help with homework problems and questions. The unique opportunity for students to freely ask questions and gain the confidence that comes from helping others and inspires students to learn in a collaborative community that receives more than 350 million users each month.
Based in Kraków, Poland, with its US headquarters in New York City, Brainly is currently available in 35 countries. The total funding from current investors, including Naspers, General Catalyst Partners, Point Nine Capital, Runa Capital and Learn Capital equals $150M. More information about Brainly is available on www.brainly.com.