Principal Operations Research Engineer
Role and Responsibilities
CAE Flight Services offers flight operations and optimization digital solutions to equip aviation professionals with the data needed to make informed decisions and take control of critical tasks. CAE Flight Services offers a comprehensive portfolio of software solutions including:
- crew scheduling and recovery
- aircraft scheduling and recovery
- airport resource management
- flight plan optimization
The Operations Research (OR) team is responsible for the analytical method of problem-solving and decision-making used in many of the CAE Flight Services solutions. The OR team provides support during all phases of a product lifecycle: from sales demonstrations, algorithm implementation, engine delivery, production support, to after-sales service.
Some of your key responsibilities as Principal Operations Research Engineer include:
Reporting to the OR Director Software Engineering, you will be responsible for delivering complex solutions into hosted environments. You will bring extensive knowledge and experience in building solutions based on mathematical programming models to guide development and implementation efforts across the solution lifecycle.
You will be able to work with customers and internal stakeholders to understand the logic and requirements of airline operations while offering creative solutions when recognizing improvement opportunities. You will participate in peer review of solution design, assess opportunities for solution and process improvement, and prepare documentation of rationale to share with team members and stakeholders. You will support marketing and sales activities necessary to ensure success of the solutions and services offered by CAE Flight Services. This may include the promotion and demonstration of solutions and services to stakeholders. You may also be required to provide third-level support and training courses to customers. You will represent CAE Flight Services and the OR team in a positive, helpful, and professional way at all times.
The OR Team Lead / Software Engineer is responsible for technical and team leadership through coaching and mentorship. You will maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing and role modelling good practices and habits. You will also be responsible for identifying and encouraging areas for growth and improvement within your team.
Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or higher) in Operations Research, Computer Science, Industrial Engineering, Management Information Systems, or similar field
- Eight years’ experience in optimization solutions
Core competency requirements
- Excellent knowledge of mathematical programming models such as LP/IP, network flow, graph theory, column generation, branch and bound and large-scale optimization, statistical and/or machine learning models for real-world optimization or predictive modeling problems
- Excellent knowledge of C++ (11+, STL), object-oriented programming/design principles and patterns, SOLID, design patterns (Gang of Four)
- A desire to remain technical capable and an expert in mathematical programming models and related OR subject areas
- Strong experience of enterprise software development and maintenance
- Experience designing and developing client applications for Windows or Linux, integrations, and APIs
- Strong initiative to find ways to improve solutions, systems, and processes
- Professional proficiency in English
- Strong communication skills with both internal team members and external stakeholders. Ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
- Experience in people management and the ability to lead and influence others
- Ability to work independently, without routine supervision
Preferred competency requirements
- Understanding database schema and SQL statements
- Machine Learning and data analytics experience and skills
- Working knowledge of C# and Python
- Working experience with MIP/LP solvers (Cplex /Gurobi/OR-Tools/Coin-OR)
- Strong facilitation and training skills