With an awareness of the latest innovations and trends in technology leads the creation of the technology roadmap and related target IT landscape in line with the IT strategy and business objectives for specific Technology Product & Service capabilities.
Working with experts across application, integration and infrastructure to create holistic solution designs that put the needs of clients and colleagues first. Defines and assures high level patterns and design, enforcing the architectural guardrails and effective decision making during the realisation of the portfolio roadmap, considering short-term and long-term company strategy, business needs and market evolutions. Maintains the current and future IT landscape artefacts working embedded within delivery teams to advise and influence technical and business stakeholders within IG and any key technology suppliers to ensure robust scalable future proofed technology solutions are developed and deployed to best enable business processes efficiently and effectively with IT solutions.
Enterprise & Technology Product Architecture
● Work with Principal Architects and the broader technology community to develop the technology strategy and architecture roadmap for defined domain capabilities, providing thought leadership in information, applications and technology architecture and innovation.
● Develop and maintain a comprehensive enterprise IT architecture, representative of the current, transitional and target states of the information, applications and technology portfolio, maintaining alignment with the business architecture and scope of change initiatives in the short, medium and long term.
● Identify solutions and technologies for decommissioning or remediation and create a roadmap plan for this, aligned to the overall roadmap for the domain.
● Develop robust design patterns and standards alongside the application, information, security and infrastructure architectures to guide projects and programmes along a strategically sound path.
Solution Architecture & Quality Assurance
● Drive architectural decisions at an initiative level to advance the IT roadmap, including the assessment of new technologies and technical debt that best fit business and project needs. Conceive system interfaces and business application prototypes and
influence the shaping of future products by contributing to the framework used across multiple products or systems.
● Provide expertise in solution architecture and design governance to change initiatives, leading the comprehensive interpretation, appraisal and response to business requirements for new and changed business capabilities, defining well-articulated solution options, evaluating, recommending and documenting key solution architecture choices and design decisions.
● Work closely with product owners, understanding the strategy for the business and goals of the team to shape the roadmap for given technology capabilities and solutions. Convert requirements into actionable product/service requirements that feed Technology solutions development & influence service direction.
● Embedded within the delivery team, collaboratively define and own potential technology solutions and work with the team to assess these potential solutions against requirements, architecture principles & guidelines.
● Engage in research and development in conjunction with delivery teams, evaluating and advising on technical solutions for specific areas and helping identify new more cost-effective ways to achieve existing business needs.
● Liaise with other teams, both technical and in the wider business, as appropriate to provide mentoring and guidance on application of architectural principles to solutions and support teams in proposing technical solutions.
● Keep abreast of operational issues and embrace a culture of continuous improvement to ensure we learn from any mistakes to ensure operational issues (performance, operator intervention, alerting, design defect related issues, etc.) are resolved and
that any design related issues are addressed in a timely manner.
Experience and Skills
● Proven ability of architecting and iteratively delivering complex, flexible, reliable, supportable and cost-effective IT solutions at scale both on-premise and in the cloud; preferably in a dynamic digital and/or microservices architecture.
● Experience of working in fast-paced, high growth, high volume, multi-channel customer-focused organisations, ideally in the financial and IT industry.
● Comfortable in playing an architectural role within a dynamic and agile environment; leveraging a range of tools and techniques to manage and communicate a constantly evolving technology roadmap and set of architectural blueprints; and work closely with
delivery teams to build, refine and deliver solutions.
● Experience of working with internal stakeholders, 3rd party partners and software vendors to make the right technology choices, whether build vs buy decisions, technology selection or during design and build of solutions.
● Strong technical knowledge of modern technology platforms and open source development technologies including:
o Modern development languages, frameworks and tool chains
o Relational and NoSQL database technologies, preferably open source based
o Cloud based technologies, preferably Kubernetes/containers
o Message oriented middleware solutions and/or integration platforms
o Web based communications technologies
o Java, Cloud, integration technologies, message queue technologies experience
● Ability to think and act strategically but also to operate and implement change tactically when required, dealing effectively with ambiguity and managing changeable business priorities.
● Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills, particularly adept at simplifying and articulating complex topics and employing a wide range of communication styles to engage with all levels of the organisation.