We are looking for a Unix Engineer to join the Ocado Technology team based in Kraków, Poland.
We’re Ocado Technology.
We architect and build the ground-breaking, game-changing technology solutions that power Ocado, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer. We don’t do off-the-shelf. We don’t do easy. Because we’re writing, building and running all our own software systems, we’re constantly pushing the limits of what technology can do. And when we say ‘we’, we mean ‘you’. Join us and you’ll work across a phenomenal breadth of technology, with incredibly smart people, to create reliable, resilient, scalable and optimised software systems.
As a member of the Infrastructure Unix team you will be expected to research, develop and manage Unix-like compute, storage and virtualization solutions as well as their associated hardware. We run both commercial and open source versions of Unix and Linux (such as Ubuntu, Debian, CoreOS), Storage (Ceph) and internal cloud infrastructure (Openstack).
You will be required to implement the chosen technologies, configure them to Ocado standards, provide our Operational team with automation, documentation and training and participate in a 24/7 support rota.
Roles & Responsibilities:
● Technical requirements gathering, design, prototyping, implementation, testing, and early life support of technical solutions to business problems
● Last line of support for production issues
● Configuration and setup of hardware, operating systems and services to Ocado Technology standards
● Management and monitoring of systems to ensure that issues are quickly identified and resolved
● Automation of manual activities
● Planning, testing and rolling out new releases
● Provision of documentation and training to peers and other stakeholders
● Collaborating with Operations team to plan and execute system changes
● Provision of 3rd line operational support as part of the teams’ on-call rota
● Implementation of systems to comply with Ocado Technology’s security and disaster recovery strategy
● In depth understanding and experience of Ubuntu / Debian
● Experience of server build and configuration management system (e.g Puppet)
● Unix Scripting (Shell, Python)
● Good understanding of TCP/IP and IP networking
● Experience/understanding of supporting a 24×7 operation
● Passion for open source technologies
● Knowledge industry/market developments and best practice
● Self-starter, comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a fast-paced environment
● Strong written, verbal and collaboration skills
● Capacity planning
● Understanding and experience of the following technologies:
● Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Maths, Physics, Engineering or related subject
● CoreOS, Docker, Kubernetes
● Experience of SCRUM or other Agile methodologies
● System and Network security
● Performance monitoring and tuning
● Experience of Amazon Web Services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, EC2) and / or Google Cloud Platform (App Engine, Compute Engine, Cloud Storage)